The History of the Women's Club
The purpose of the Lemon Cove Women's Club is to promote community welfare, to further civic and cultural opportunities, and to support the historic preservation of the Pogue Hotel.
- 1924 - Founded by Nora Alice Pogue Montgomery.
- 1924 - First community service project was supplying milk to school children. This project lasted more than 40 years.
- Late 1920's - Members and husbands landscaped the school, planting lawns and shrubs themselves. Sponsored silent movies in the school auditorium. The minuet was presented and danced by club members.
- 1930's - Fundraisers included waffle suppers, fashion shows, $1.00/plate Turkey dinners, pioneer luncheons and square dancing.
- 1940's - Members donated their meeting times to the Red Cross. Formed a Tulare County Branch Library at the clubhouse, serving as librarians. Hosted "Story Hour" for children, earning the club state recognition. Hobby shows included handmade quilts, rare laces, weaving, hooked rugs, rock collections and dolls. Catered dinners for the newly formed Lions Club.
- 1950's - Hosted genuine Swedish smorgasbords and potluck dinners followed by games for member's families.
- 1960's - Hosted the Tulare County Historical Society meeting with a presentation of "Early Days of Lemon Cove". Pictures of past club presidents were unveiled and hung in the hall.
- 1970's through the 1990's - Hosted Lasagna dinners, St. Patrick's Day luncheons, champagne supper and musicals, camp scholarships. The annual luau had its first year. Began our annual yard sale.